Monday 1 August 2011

Six Reasons Why I, Irrationally, Prefer p Over e

Happy November! by emilyonasunday

"...the distinction between past, present and future is only a stubborn persistent illusion.”  Albert Einstein

Google calendar seems to me a perfectly good organisational tool.  Easy for me to access as I use GMail for work.  Great for collaborating with others and for accessing at home.  Simple and functional.  But I must admit that the only time I used it was when waiting for my new Staff Planner at work last year.  This Thing has got me thinking why I am strangely resistant to change in this area.  Below are my justifications

1.  In the same way that I like the physicality of books I enjoy the physicality of diaries and calendars.  I have a gorgeous Gwen Raverat Desk Calendar this year at home.  Diaries and calendars are more than functional tools to me, they are also aesthetic objects to which I can attach bits of paper, stickers, doodle on the days.

2.  This is one of the few times that I  physically write with pen and paper during the day.  I need to keep doing this to preserve some sort of legible handwriting!

3.  We get a nice big Staff Planner/Diary each year at work which expands as the year progresses with agendas, to do lists,  contact details etc.  I can have this open on my desk at work as an easy reminder of that day's activities.

4.  I can be totally mobile without the worry of computer/internet access.  Quite important in our school environment.

5.  I get a break from looking at a computer screen.

6.  I like the sense of a new academic year and New Year that the new paper items represent.

No comments:

Post a Comment